Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Favorite

My favorite this Friday comes from a very personal place. As Emma said on Tuesday, our family is going through a very difficult time. One of my crafting idols, our grandmother, is losing her battle with cancer. Our grandmother is TRULY one of the most amazing crafters I have ever seen. Her skills range from sewing and crocheting to painting and wood carving, and seriously, those are JUST a few.

In honor of her and her amazing life, my sisters and I decided to create corsages from the fabric scraps that were hers. Since purple is her favorite color, I chose purple fabrics and made fabric yo yos. I adore yo yos. Not only are they absolutely precious and versatile, but they are full of history. Yo yo quilts have been around for a very long time, in fact my grandmother has one that belonged to her mother.
For those of you who don't know how to make a yo yo, they are extremely do-able. Check out Miss Bees Designs for an excellent tutorial on how to make a fabric yo yo.

I placed a button in the center of my yo yos and attached a pin back with hot glue. You could totally go crazy with these things, layering the yo yos making a sort of flower, adding feathers or tulle. Have fun with it. After all, that is what life truly is about. We love you, grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment